June 01, 2000

William L. Thaxton Residence

What follows is an edited excerpt from an e-mail I received from Rosemary Davison Suttle on June 17, 2000 regarding her visit to the site. 

The house is very much exactly as I remember it, but keep in mind that I have not been there since the late 1950's.  A part in the back which is higher than the front part looks different to me. [...]
Next weekend I will see my younger brother, who is an architect, and maybe he remembers more than I do. (My brother, Jad, spent several summers at Taliesin East, and has several stories about Frank Lloyd Wright). 

This is exciting for me, I am so glad that the house is still there. As you can guess, all of the other houses on the short street have been torn down and replaced with huge two-story houses. So the flat one-story house, set far back on the property looks very different. The house is at the dead end of a cul de sac. I don't know if the swimming pool is still there. It was surrounded by the house. In fact, you could open a slim door off of the master bedroom, and just jump into the pool. Also, we would jump off of the roof into to the pool. I would love to go inside of the house. I suppose that there is very little of all of the uncomfortable built-in furniture there.
This is the far left side of the house.
This is the far left side of the house.
This is the right end of the front of the house.
This is the right end of the front of the house.
This is the left side of the front of the house.
The is the left side of the front of the house.

Photographs and text © 2000 Rosemary Davison Suttle

No comments: